- Alcoholic's Anonymous - a group that helps people recover from
alcohol abuseMy boss has been going to AA meetings for over a year.
- Anno Domini - used to mark time that comes after the commonly
accepted beginning of the Christian eraThe ancient city was founded
in 125 AD.
- Annual General Meeting - the annual meeting of an
organizationMy sister attended the AGM of the condominium owners last
- Artificial Intelligence - used for robots
etcSeveral professors at our university have been researching AI for
many years now.
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome - a disease of the immune
systemRecently the number of AIDS patients has been increasing
rapidly in many countries.
- Amplitude Modulation - a type of radio frequencyWe
don't listen to AM radio much because we don't like the songs that they play.
- Any Other Business - used in meetings etcThe
organizer of the meeting wrote AOB at the bottom of the meeting information
- great, doing wellHe said that he was feeling AOK
even after the truck had hit him.
- All Point's Bulletin - used by the police when looking for a
criminalThe police put out an APB on the men who had robbed the bank.
- As Soon As PossiblePlease finish the first draft of
the letter and give it to me ASAP.
- Absent Without Leave - often used in the
militaryThe military police were searching the area for the soldier
who had gone AWOL.
- Bachelor of Arts - from a universityMy brother has
received a BA in economics from his university.
- Bed and Breakfast - a small inn or hotel that serves
breakfastMy sister wants to open a small B&B when she quits her
- Break and Enter - a criminal act of breaking into a house or
building to steal somethingWhen I was going to university there was a
B&E in my apartment.
- Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato - a type of sandwichWe went
into the restaurant and ordered a BLT sandwich.
- Body Odor - smell of sweat from the human bodyThe
BO from the man in the elevator was very bad.
- Bullshit - lies or other information that is
falseWe heard a lot of BS at the meeting last night which nobody
- Bachelor of Science - from a universityMy cousin
has just received a BSc in computer science from his university.
- Bring Your Own Bottle - used for a party or dinner where each
person must bring something to drinkI decided to have a dinner party
at my house next week and told everyone that it was BYOB.
- Chartered AccountantWe went to see a CA in order to
get our income tax finished on time.
- Chief Executive OfficerMy uncle was the CEO of a
large computer company.
- Central Intelligence Agency - US spy and security
organizationThe CIA was involved in the efforts to free the hostage
air force pilot.
- Care Of - used when you want to send something to someone at
the address of another personI didn't know my friend's address so I
sent a letter to him C/O another friend of mine.
- Cash On Delivery - used when a delivery person receives cash
when they deliver somethingI decided to send away for some video
cassettes and the company said that they would send them to me COD.
- Certified Public AccountantThe woman in our
accounting department has been studying for her CPA exams for three months.
- Do-It-YourselfI went to a DIY store and bought the
materials to build a bed.
- Disc JockeyMy cousin worked in the summer as a disc
jockey while he was going to university.
- Deoxyribonucleic Acid - main constituent of the chromosomes of
all organismsThe large university project has spent a lot of money in
the study of DNA.
- Driving Under the InfluenceThe man was sent to jail
for several months on a charge of DUI.
- Electrocardiogram - an electronic test of a person's
heartMy father was asked to take an ECG test by his doctor.
- Exempli Gratia - Latin for exampleThe company has
hundreds of small factories around the world - eg Italy, Mexico, Thailand and
- Emergency Room - the place in a hospital which deals with
emergency situationsThe victims of the accident were quickly taken to
- English as a Second LanguageThe ESL classes at the
college have been held for almost ten years now.
- Extrasensory PerceptionThe movie was about a small
boy who had the ability of ESP.
- Estimated Time of ArrivalWhat will your ETA be when
you return home next month?
- Federal Bureau of InvestigationThe killers were
found in a nationwide search by the FBI.
- Frequency Modulation - a type of radio signalThe
radio station that we listen to regularly is an FM station.
- For Your InformationI wrote FYI on the information
bulletin and sent it to the other members of the staff.
- Government Issue - stamped on US military equipment and often
means US soldierThe man went to the store and bought a GI Joe doll
for his son.
- Greenwich Mean Time - a place in England used as the standard
for time around the worldThe rocket will be launched at 10:00 AM
- Gross National Product - the total value of goods and services
produced by a country in one yearThe GNP of the country that I
visited last year has been decreasing for several years.
- General Practitioner - a general doctorI went to
see a GP when I broke my leg last summer.
- Human Immunodeficiency VirusThe rate of HIV
infection among drug users is very high.
- HeadquartersThe HQ of the company is located in a
small town in Korea.
- International Monetary Fund - an international agency that
works to stabilize currencies etcThe IMF imposed very strict currency
guidelines that many people were opposed to.
- I Owe You - a signed paper saying that you owe money to
someoneI gave my friend an IOU when I bought his stereo.
- Intelligence Quotient - a measure of a person's
intelligenceThe IQ of the new student is very high.
- Justice of the PeaceThey went to a JP when they
decided to get married.
- KnockoutThe boxer won the match in the fifth round
by a KO.
- Bachelor of LawsMy brother received his LLB and
will begin to practice law next week.
- Long-Playing RecordI recently decided to give all
of my old LPs to a charity.
- Liquid Petroleum GasThe truck carrying LPG was in
an accident on the highway last night.
- Master of ArtsMy cousin's wife has recently decided
to study for her MA in economics.
- Missing In ActionAccording to some people in the
United States there are still some MIA soldiers in Vietnam.
- Master of CeremoniesMy cousin was the MC for my
- Doctor of MedicineShe received her MD when she was
26 years old and has been practicing medicine since then.
- Member of Parliament - used in the United Kingdom and Canada
etcThere were several MPs at the restaurant where we had dinner.
- Master of ScienceThe woman has an MSc in computer
science and has been able to find a job easily.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration - the US space
organizationAccording to a spokesperson for NASA the rocket will be
launched next week.
- North Atlantic Treaty OrganizationThe members of
NATO are gathering for an important meeting next month in Brussels.
- Nota Bene - Latin for take notice or note wellOur
teacher told us to memorize the information in our text that is marked NB.
- Old Age PensionerAt first I could not understand
why I couldn't get the discount that was for OAPs only. Later I realized it was
for senior citizens.
- Organization of African UnityThe OAU is working
very hard to promote free trade between its various countries.
- Overdose - on drugsThe man was died because of a
- Operating Room - in a hospitalBefore entering the
OR the doctors carefully washed their hands.
- Public Address SystemEvery morning the children
listened to the latest school information over the PA.
- Politically Correct - language that is not harmful or
insulting to othersThe university had a very strict policy that says
that all material published in the school newspaper must be PC.
- Personal ComputerThe PC industry has been growing
rapidly in recent years.
- Physical EducationMy PE class was held indoors
during the winter months.
- Doctor of PhilosophyAfter receiving his Phd in
history my friend was able to get a job at a university.
- Please Leave On - used when you want to leave something on a
blackboard or whiteboardAlthough the teacher wrote PLO on the
blackboard the information was erased during the lunch break.
- Post Meridiem - Latin for after noonThe meeting
started at exactly 1:00 PM.
- Prisoner of WarThe negotiations regarding POWs
continued for many years after the Vietnam war.
- Public RelationsWith good PR the politician was
able to easily gain the support of many people.
- Postscript - written at the end of a letter when you want to
add some extra informationAfter finishing the main part of the letter
I wrote PS to include something very important that I had forgotten.
- Parent-Teacher AssociationWe got home late last
night after attending our son's PTA meeting.
- Please Turn Over - written on a piece of paper to tell someone
to look at the other sideI wrote PTO on the last page of my essay to
make sure that the professor would look at the last page.
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Canada's national police
forceThe movie was about the RCMP and it took place in northern
- Rest In Peace - used when talking about someone who is dead or
sometimes written on a gravestoneAt the end of the movie RIP was
written on the gravestone of the main character who had been killed.
- Respondez S'il Vous Plait - French for please
replyThe invitation said RSVP so I quickly sent off a note to say
that I would be able to attend the party.
- Son Of a Bitch - a swear word used in anger or when you want
to insult someoneThe man called me a SOB when I drove in front of him
in the parking lot.
- international code signal of distress, call for
helpThe sinking ship had been sending out an SOS signal but still
nobody was able to come to their rescue.
- Teaching AssistantAfter leaving university he was
able to get a job as a TA at the junior college.
- TuberculosisFor various reasons the number of TB
cases has been increasing around the world recently.
- To Be Announced - used when something will be announced
laterI looked in the television guide to see what the 7:00 movie
would be but it only said TBA.
- Thank Goodness (God) It's FridayThe restaurant had
a large TGIF sign on the door and all drinks were half price.
- Technical KnockoutAlthough the boxer didn't seem to
win the fight he was awarded a TKO and won the boxing match.
- Tender Loving CareWith lots of TLC the house plants
did very well under my sister's care.
- Toilet PaperI went to the store and bought several
rolls of TP.
- Unidentified Flying ObjectThe number of UFO
sightings has increased dramatically recently.
- Ultraviolet - a type of light rayWe used lots of
sunscreen in order to protect ourselves from UV rays.
- Video Cassette RecorderWe bought a new VCR after
our old one began to have problems.
- Video Display UnitThe VDU at work was beginning to
cause problems with my eyes so I went to an eye doctor.
- Very High FrequencyThe television wasn't working
because of a problem with the VHF connection.
- Very Important PersonThe football player was given
the VIP treatment when he went to visit his hometown.
- Vice-PresidentAfter serving faithfully as
vice-president for many years my father was appointed to the position of company
- Video Tape RecorderThe VTR in the classroom was
missing because someone was using it for a meeting.
- Water Closet - toiletAs soon as we entered the park
we went directly to the sign that said WC.