- Alcoholic's Anonymous - a group that helps people recover from alcohol abuseMy boss has been going to AA meetings for over a year.
- Anno Domini - used to mark time that comes after the commonly accepted beginning of the Christian eraThe ancient city was founded in 125 AD.
- Annual General Meeting - the annual meeting of an organizationMy sister attended the AGM of the condominium owners last night.
- Artificial Intelligence - used for robots etcSeveral professors at our university have been researching AI for many years now.
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome - a disease of the immune systemRecently the number of AIDS patients has been increasing rapidly in many countries.
- Amplitude Modulation - a type of radio frequencyWe don't listen to AM radio much because we don't like the songs that they play.
- Any Other Business - used in meetings etcThe organizer of the meeting wrote AOB at the bottom of the meeting information sheet.
- great, doing wellHe said that he was feeling AOK even after the truck had hit him.
- All Point's Bulletin - used by the police when looking for a criminalThe police put out an APB on the men who had robbed the bank.
- As Soon As PossiblePlease finish the first draft of the letter and give it to me ASAP.
- Absent Without Leave - often used in the militaryThe military police were searching the area for the soldier who had gone AWOL.
- Bachelor of Arts - from a universityMy brother has received a BA in economics from his university.
- Bed and Breakfast - a small inn or hotel that serves breakfastMy sister wants to open a small B&B when she quits her job.
- Break and Enter - a criminal act of breaking into a house or building to steal somethingWhen I was going to university there was a B&E in my apartment.
- Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato - a type of sandwichWe went into the restaurant and ordered a BLT sandwich.
- Body Odor - smell of sweat from the human bodyThe BO from the man in the elevator was very bad.
- Bullshit - lies or other information that is falseWe heard a lot of BS at the meeting last night which nobody believed.
- Bachelor of Science - from a universityMy cousin has just received a BSc in computer science from his university.
- Bring Your Own Bottle - used for a party or dinner where each person must bring something to drinkI decided to have a dinner party at my house next week and told everyone that it was BYOB.
- Chartered AccountantWe went to see a CA in order to get our income tax finished on time.
- Chief Executive OfficerMy uncle was the CEO of a large computer company.
- Central Intelligence Agency - US spy and security organizationThe CIA was involved in the efforts to free the hostage air force pilot.
- Care Of - used when you want to send something to someone at the address of another personI didn't know my friend's address so I sent a letter to him C/O another friend of mine.
- Cash On Delivery - used when a delivery person receives cash when they deliver somethingI decided to send away for some video cassettes and the company said that they would send them to me COD.
- Certified Public AccountantThe woman in our accounting department has been studying for her CPA exams for three months.
- Do-It-YourselfI went to a DIY store and bought the materials to build a bed.
- Disc JockeyMy cousin worked in the summer as a disc jockey while he was going to university.
- Deoxyribonucleic Acid - main constituent of the chromosomes of all organismsThe large university project has spent a lot of money in the study of DNA.
- Driving Under the InfluenceThe man was sent to jail for several months on a charge of DUI.
- Electrocardiogram - an electronic test of a person's heartMy father was asked to take an ECG test by his doctor.
- Exempli Gratia - Latin for exampleThe company has hundreds of small factories around the world - eg Italy, Mexico, Thailand and Korea.
- Emergency Room - the place in a hospital which deals with emergency situationsThe victims of the accident were quickly taken to the ER.
- English as a Second LanguageThe ESL classes at the college have been held for almost ten years now.
- Extrasensory PerceptionThe movie was about a small boy who had the ability of ESP.
- Estimated Time of ArrivalWhat will your ETA be when you return home next month?
- Federal Bureau of InvestigationThe killers were found in a nationwide search by the FBI.
- Frequency Modulation - a type of radio signalThe radio station that we listen to regularly is an FM station.
- For Your InformationI wrote FYI on the information bulletin and sent it to the other members of the staff.
- Government Issue - stamped on US military equipment and often means US soldierThe man went to the store and bought a GI Joe doll for his son.
- Greenwich Mean Time - a place in England used as the standard for time around the worldThe rocket will be launched at 10:00 AM tomorrow GMT.
- Gross National Product - the total value of goods and services produced by a country in one yearThe GNP of the country that I visited last year has been decreasing for several years.
- General Practitioner - a general doctorI went to see a GP when I broke my leg last summer.
- Human Immunodeficiency VirusThe rate of HIV infection among drug users is very high.
- HeadquartersThe HQ of the company is located in a small town in Korea.
- International Monetary Fund - an international agency that works to stabilize currencies etcThe IMF imposed very strict currency guidelines that many people were opposed to.
- I Owe You - a signed paper saying that you owe money to someoneI gave my friend an IOU when I bought his stereo.
- Intelligence Quotient - a measure of a person's intelligenceThe IQ of the new student is very high.
- Justice of the PeaceThey went to a JP when they decided to get married.
- KnockoutThe boxer won the match in the fifth round by a KO.
- Bachelor of LawsMy brother received his LLB and will begin to practice law next week.
- Long-Playing RecordI recently decided to give all of my old LPs to a charity.
- Liquid Petroleum GasThe truck carrying LPG was in an accident on the highway last night.
- Master of ArtsMy cousin's wife has recently decided to study for her MA in economics.
- Missing In ActionAccording to some people in the United States there are still some MIA soldiers in Vietnam.
- Master of CeremoniesMy cousin was the MC for my sister's wedding.
- Doctor of MedicineShe received her MD when she was 26 years old and has been practicing medicine since then.
- Member of Parliament - used in the United Kingdom and Canada etcThere were several MPs at the restaurant where we had dinner.
- Master of ScienceThe woman has an MSc in computer science and has been able to find a job easily.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration - the US space organizationAccording to a spokesperson for NASA the rocket will be launched next week.
- North Atlantic Treaty OrganizationThe members of NATO are gathering for an important meeting next month in Brussels.
- Nota Bene - Latin for take notice or note wellOur teacher told us to memorize the information in our text that is marked NB.
- Old Age PensionerAt first I could not understand why I couldn't get the discount that was for OAPs only. Later I realized it was for senior citizens.
- Organization of African UnityThe OAU is working very hard to promote free trade between its various countries.
- Overdose - on drugsThe man was died because of a drug OD.
- Operating Room - in a hospitalBefore entering the OR the doctors carefully washed their hands.
- Public Address SystemEvery morning the children listened to the latest school information over the PA.
- Politically Correct - language that is not harmful or insulting to othersThe university had a very strict policy that says that all material published in the school newspaper must be PC.
- Personal ComputerThe PC industry has been growing rapidly in recent years.
- Physical EducationMy PE class was held indoors during the winter months.
- Doctor of PhilosophyAfter receiving his Phd in history my friend was able to get a job at a university.
- Please Leave On - used when you want to leave something on a blackboard or whiteboardAlthough the teacher wrote PLO on the blackboard the information was erased during the lunch break.
- Post Meridiem - Latin for after noonThe meeting started at exactly 1:00 PM.
- Prisoner of WarThe negotiations regarding POWs continued for many years after the Vietnam war.
- Public RelationsWith good PR the politician was able to easily gain the support of many people.
- Postscript - written at the end of a letter when you want to add some extra informationAfter finishing the main part of the letter I wrote PS to include something very important that I had forgotten.
- Parent-Teacher AssociationWe got home late last night after attending our son's PTA meeting.
- Please Turn Over - written on a piece of paper to tell someone to look at the other sideI wrote PTO on the last page of my essay to make sure that the professor would look at the last page.
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Canada's national police forceThe movie was about the RCMP and it took place in northern Canada.
- Rest In Peace - used when talking about someone who is dead or sometimes written on a gravestoneAt the end of the movie RIP was written on the gravestone of the main character who had been killed.
- Respondez S'il Vous Plait - French for please replyThe invitation said RSVP so I quickly sent off a note to say that I would be able to attend the party.
- Son Of a Bitch - a swear word used in anger or when you want to insult someoneThe man called me a SOB when I drove in front of him in the parking lot.
- international code signal of distress, call for helpThe sinking ship had been sending out an SOS signal but still nobody was able to come to their rescue.
- Teaching AssistantAfter leaving university he was able to get a job as a TA at the junior college.
- TuberculosisFor various reasons the number of TB cases has been increasing around the world recently.
- To Be Announced - used when something will be announced laterI looked in the television guide to see what the 7:00 movie would be but it only said TBA.
- Thank Goodness (God) It's FridayThe restaurant had a large TGIF sign on the door and all drinks were half price.
- Technical KnockoutAlthough the boxer didn't seem to win the fight he was awarded a TKO and won the boxing match.
- Tender Loving CareWith lots of TLC the house plants did very well under my sister's care.
- Toilet PaperI went to the store and bought several rolls of TP.
- Unidentified Flying ObjectThe number of UFO sightings has increased dramatically recently.
- Ultraviolet - a type of light rayWe used lots of sunscreen in order to protect ourselves from UV rays.
- Video Cassette RecorderWe bought a new VCR after our old one began to have problems.
- Video Display UnitThe VDU at work was beginning to cause problems with my eyes so I went to an eye doctor.
- Very High FrequencyThe television wasn't working because of a problem with the VHF connection.
- Very Important PersonThe football player was given the VIP treatment when he went to visit his hometown.
- Vice-PresidentAfter serving faithfully as vice-president for many years my father was appointed to the position of company president.
- Video Tape RecorderThe VTR in the classroom was missing because someone was using it for a meeting.
- Water Closet - toiletAs soon as we entered the park we went directly to the sign that said WC.