- a lot of talk about little thingsWe spent the whole
evening in a yakety-yak session at my friends.
- operating all yearWe usually spend all summer at a
year-round resort in California.
- extremely timid, cowardlyHe is a yellow-bellied
person who is not good to have as a friend.
- cowardice in a person`s characterHe has a real
yellow streak and will not say anything to defend his friends.
- a person who tries to be liked by agreeing with everything
said (especially by a boss)He is a yes-man who will do anything that
his boss asks him to do.
you bet/you bet your boots/you bet your
- most certainly, yes, without any doubtYou bet your
life I will be attending the conference next year.
you don`t say
- used to show surprise at what is said"You don`t
say", he said when he heard about the accident on the highway.
you said it/you can say that again
- used to show strong agreement with what another person has
said"You can say that again," I answered when the woman mentioned how
hot it was out in the sun.
you`re telling me
- used to show that a thing is so clear that it need not be
said"This restaurant is very expensive and the food is not so
"You`re telling me."
- used to agree with or encourage someone in what they are
saying"You tell`em," I yelled out to the politician who was making
Idiom Quizzes - UWY